Media Literacy Ireland is an independent association of members committed to the promotion of media literacy across Ireland.
Media literacy is a life-long learning journey and touches on almost every aspect of life as illustrated in the three Core Competencies and skills of the BAI’s Media Literacy Policy.
Our Core Competencies
Understand and critically evaluate broadcast, digital and other media content and services, in order to make informed choices and best manage media use.
Access and use broadcast and digital media content and services in a safe and secure manner, to maximise opportunities and minimise risks.
Create and participate via media, in a responsible, ethical and effective manner, in the creative, cultural and democratic aspects of society.
MLI has 4 key areas of activity
Facilitated by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, MLI is a network of volunteer members coming from a large number of sectors, organisations and interests, working together to empower people to make informed media choices about the media content and services that they consume, create, and disseminate across all platforms.Knowledge Base
MLI operates as a network whereby members can engage with one another, learn from one another and explore ways of collaborating with one another.Members
MLI acts as a platform for shared communication about a wide range of topics related to media literacy in Ireland and abroad.News
MLI helps to draw attention to media literacy issues and provide advice and support to citizens on a range of media literacy issues.
Be Media Smart
The Be Media Smart campaign was developed by Media Literacy Ireland and is supported by a range of organisations across Ireland to help people tell the difference between reliable and accurate information and or deliberately false or misleading information.Be Media Smart
Prof. Brian O’NeillChair of Steering Group
Stephanie ComeyVice Chair of Steering Group
- Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland
- Arts Council of Ireland
- Association of Advertisers in Ireland
- Broadcasting Authority of Ireland
- Carnegie UK Trust
- Creative Europe Desk Ireland
- Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment
- Dublin North East Community Communications Cooperative T/A NEAR Media Co-op
- Dún Laoghaire Further Education Institute
- Frameworks Media and Archive Centre
- Instinctif Partners
- Institute of Advertising Practitioners in Ireland
- Irish Film Institute
- Learning Waves
- Library Association of Ireland
- Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board
- Maynooth University
- MSD Ireland
- National Adult Literacy Agency
- National Council for Curriculum and Assessment
- National Youth Council of Ireland
- NewsBrands Ireland
- Northern Ireland Screen
- Office of the Press Ombudsman
- Professional Development Service for Teachers
- Quality & Qualifications Ireland
- Shout Out UK
- Sky Ireland
- Social Justice Ireland
- The Institute for Future Media and Journalism (FUJO)
- TinPot Productions
- TU Dublin
- Virgin Media
- Youthreach - Department of Education and Skills