Media Literacy Series – Disinformation, Fake News and Privacy
This article reflects the authors own views and not that of MLI.
Dun Laoghaire Library has partnered up with media educator Ricardo Castellini da Silva to create a media literacy series on disinformation, fake news and privacy. The series has been produced to promote an exhibition on misinformation called ‘The Glass Room: Misinformation Edition’, created by Tactical Tech. The exhibition was meant to be hosted by dlr Lexlcon Library from October to mid-December, but due to COVID-19 restrictions it can only be visited online for the moment at https://tacticaltech.org/news/...
The media literacy series will run for 6 weeks and will be available at the Library’s website from late October to early December. It will comprise 6 educational videos released every Monday and 6 online events delivered every Wednesday (please see full programme below). Participation is free but places are limited. More information on this link https://libraries.dlrcoco.ie/e...
Media Literacy series programme
- Monday (Oct 26th) – VIDEO 1 – Introduction + the basics about old versus new media and the information age.
- Wednesday (Oct 28th, 1pm) – Webinar (1 hour): Disinformation and COVID-19.
- Monday (Nov 2nd) – VIDEO 2 – Looking inside us: how we deal with information and knowledge.
- Wednesday (Nov 4th, 1pm) – Workshop (45 minutes): - Fighting disinformation/fake news.
- Monday (Nov 9th) – VIDEO 3 – Inside the system: how the internet and the digital platforms work.
- Wednesday (Nov 11th, 1pm) – Workshop (45 minutes): How to improve the way we control our personal data.
- Monday (Nov 16th) – VIDEO 4 – Toxic content: bad producers, bad consequences.
- Wednesday (Nov 18th, 1pm) – Webinar (1 hour): Data privacy/Surveillance.
- Monday (Nov 23rd) – VIDEO 5 – The news industry: is journalism in crisis?
- Wednesday (Nov 25th, 1pm) – Workshop (45 minutes): - Fighting disinformation/fake news.
- Monday (Nov 30th) – VIDEO 6 - Fake news/disinformation: the multiple narratives for our reality.
- Wednesday (Dec 2nd, 1pm) – Workshop (45 minutes): How to improve the way we control our personal data.